Extra Curricular Tutoring
Acting is all about communication. In order to communicate effectively, we encourage young people to take up acting so that they can learn how to present themselves with confidence and clarity… skills that will serve them well in their lives long after the school years have finished.
As part of our commitment to the personal development of young people, The Education Centre is pleased to offer a range of specialised acting classes for young people in all age groups.
Our drama tutors are fully trained teachers whose acting skills and experience have been gathered from work in theatres and schools throughout New South Wales.
Some classes will feature coaching in:
• how to prepare and deliver monologues
• developing your character
• understanding a script
• the basics of stagecraft
• understanding Shakespeare
• practising for Eisteddfod (10 years + only)
Drama Tutoring Ages 7-11
‘Stage Steps’ is a new and exciting acting class that offers students between 7 and 11 years of age the opportunity to develop acting skills through games, acting exercises and productions.
This course is ideal for young people either preparing for Eisteddfod or just wanting to work with a group to gain acting skills and a sound knowledge of what is involved in creating a stage production.
Students will learn the art of acting, including character development, method acting and production preparation.
The course culminates in a final showcase production at the end of September each year at the Jetty Memorial Theatre.
Individual Eisteddfod practice classes with Natalie are also available.
Drama Tutoring Ages 12-16
Ideally tailored for students in the 12-16 year age group, ‘Acting Out’ takes students who are keen to develop their acting skills and take them to the next level. The course covers both basic acting skills as well as more refined acting proficiencies such as:
- creating and delivering monologues,
- Shakespeare interpretation and performance,
- Vocal development and body language and movement.
Students will be encouraged to develop their own piece of work as well as a small group performance, such as a sketch or dramatic excerpt.
As with other courses, students will work towards delivering a final showcase performance at the end of September at the Jetty Memorial Theatre. This course is ideal for students who are considering HSC Drama in their senior years or who are thinking of forging a career in the field of performance arts.
Drama Tutoring 17+
Theatre Skills & Acting
This course for 16-20 year olds concentrates on the two main areas of stagecraft and method acting. It is specifically designed for those young people who would like to follow a career or further studies in Theatre Arts and Acting. It is ideal for those students taking HSC Drama in Year 12.
The course features:
- The basics of Theatre
- Live theatre and its place in society, how theatres work, who does what, theatre terminology, the technical roles: lights, sound, props etc.
- The basics of Production
- Deciding on the show, developing the show from script to stage, the role of the director, the audition process, the rehearsal process.
- Acting Skills
- How to develop your character, techniques of method acting, voice projection, elocution and diction, movement.
- Monologue Skills
- How to deliver a first-class monologue, write a monologue of your own.
- Understanding Shakespeare and his audiences – both then and now, the tragedies, the comedies, the history plays explained, how to perform Shakespeare and understanding the language of Shakespeare.